Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hanging Out Jonas and Coullias Style!

When in Naples, you have to take advantage of any events in town to change up your life every once in a while.  Erika, Holly and I had plans to get dinner and maybe go out after.  Instead we decided to hit up the annual Greek Festival at the local Greek Orthodox church.  I think the rest of Naples decided the same thing.


We mostly went there for the food.  Holly and I went on a mission to get gyros while Erika went for the vegetarian friendly spanakopita.



(Sorry we never got that pic of you, Erika!)

Speaking of spanakopitas, when I was getting a gyro, I asked the lady if they also had spanakopitas at the booth.  She gave me a puzzled look and I told her I was probably saying it wrong.  She starts laughing at me and says "Oh I understand what you're talking about but I didn't know what you were saying hahahahaha".  Apparently, I was saying "spanakoPIta" when it's really "spanaKOpita". Pff.  I felt like all the white people do at our Indian festivals.

 
 

Note: "Jonas and Coullias Style" refers to the two awesome Greek girls I know...Antoinette and Angela :)  I thought about these girls the whole time I was at the festival, especially when people started dancing.  OPA!

5 comments:

  1. in all the ten or so years i lived there i NEVER went to this darn festival and i always wanted to go.... ps, hi holly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! priya! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! our greek festival is next weekend if you want to make the trip to st pete to go! gyros and spanaKOpita all around! xxoo OPA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA How come I'm just now seeing this post! This is amazing! Funny story- I went to that same Greek fest about 2 years ago in Naples. My mouth is watering right now for Gyros and spanakopita and baklava and ...oh goodness. I'm getting carried away. I <3 u 4 life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and at least you tried calling the spanakopita by the proper Greek name instead of..."ummm yeah...can I have a spanish pie?" My papou (grandfather) would be so proud

    YOU ROCK! OPAAAAAA!

    ReplyDelete