Thursday, August 20, 2009

Dealing

It's been a while since I've posted...sorry about that. Let's face it...things haven't been going so great at the Patel residence. As if my own unemployment wasn't enough to deal with. I really won't go into detail about the main issue but basically this economy sucks...and so does the mall management. Along with this big issue, there are smaller things that I having to deal with. For instance, my car and camera have both decided to die on me.

But I'm not gonna make this all about the bad things. Instead I'll focus on the things in my life that have been positive and have helped me get through the day.

Some of the things that make me happy:



Knowing that I will be seeing Ojas and his nerdy face soon.



Deciding that my free US Airways ticket (obtained when I volunteered for an overbooked flight) will be used to go to DC around New Years Eve. I really really really miss that group of friends. It's time to go see them in their new habitat.



Hanging out with Holly, Erika, and Victoria...without them, my social life in Naples would be pretty much non-existent. They're always up for anything :)



Working out...especially spinning. My mom and I go spinning twice a week. What used to be a chore has turned into a bi-weekly meeting of what feels like a biker gang of middle-aged women...and me. Yesterday my mom and I were late and when we got to class the "usuals" were holding our usual bikes for us and told us that they were worried for a minute that we weren't gonna show up. Chatting it up with the Usuals before and after class is pretty fun. There's Doreen (the New Yorker), Gail (the newbie middle school teacher), Latin Lady #1 (whose husband and dad had a heart attack in the same week), Latin Lady #2 (who told me that she used to settle for the cheapest liquor at my age), and Dr. Reed (our instructor's dentist. first name...unknown). Good people, Good music, Good class. I can't think of a better way to burn calories.



Books. Books. Books. I think I'm making up for all the times I wanted to read for fun in school and never got a chance to. I've been averaging one book every week...which is pretty unreal for me. These are all of the ones I read in the 3 months that I've been home. I think I've started liking reading more than watching TV (that is until Lost and the Office come back on). If anyone has any book suggestions...lemme know!


I freaking LOVE the library near my house. It's the only place I can get the satisfaction of shopping...for free. I mean how many places can you walk in empty handed and leave with like 5 books, a few movies, and a couple of CDs??


2 comments:

  1. you go priya!! love that you are reading so much! you should be the one giving up book recs! what did you think of zippy and she got up off the couch?

    but here are some suggestions from me to you:
    outliers (and tipping point and blink if you haven't read them - all good)
    freakonomics (along the same lines of above)
    the book theif (it's marketed as a book for teens but it wasn't originally written to be one, and it doesn't read like one.)
    memoirs of a geisha (if you haven't already)
    the curious incident of the dog in the night-time (cute. easy read)
    the kite runner and a 1000 splendid suns (no brainers - so good)
    middlesex (i loved it... but it weirded kayla out)
    loving frank
    the glass castle
    water for elephants (again, kayla and i disagree on this one)

    also, you should add "weRead" on facebook! it's an app (i know, i hate apps - this is the only one i like) and you can add what you've read and what you are reading and what you want to read. i wish everyone had it. i keep mine pretty up to date. it's an easy way to track your own books and see what others are into.

    okay, this is looking much more like an email than a blog comment!! i'll stop now.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry times aren't the best but I'm glad that you're coming to DC in the winter!! Something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete