Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Rat Pack

For the last few weeks, my mom and I have been getting frequent visitors.  These visitors wake us up in the wee hours of the morning...scratching and knawing at things in our ceiling.  Today, our guests decided to be active during the day.  I've been hearing them burrowing and thudding just over my head.  It is freaking me out.  It's probably freaking my mom out five times as much.

Turns out this is a common problem in Florida.  I've been reading forums and called animal control services.  What I've found out is that during the "cold season" in Florida, palm rats find shelter in the attics and walls of homes.  And some of them picked our house.  Lovely.

So tomorrow we are having men walk around on our roof to see where these rats (or raccoons or squirrels...we're not sure yet) enter our house from.  I'm super grossed out. 

Ew, ew, ew...I just found a website that is against killing roof rats for no reason.  As a solution, they offer a few food recipes. Grosssssss! I'm gonna go take a shower now...or three.


1 comment:

  1. uhm they want you to eat them? I figured when you said they were against killing them they wanted you to trap them and set them free int he woods or something..... Sick.

    ReplyDelete